If you have served federal active duty in the armed forces during any of the war eras listed below, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving, then you are eligible for membership in The American Legion!
Dates Of Eligibility:
- World War I - April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918
- World War II - December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946
- Korea - June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955
- Vietnam - February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975
- Lebanon and Grenada - August 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984
- Panama - December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990
- Persian Gulf - August 2, 1990 to today
Note 1: Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.
Note 2: U.S. Merchant Marine eligibility runs Dec. 7, 1941, to Aug. 16, 1945.
How to Join
To join please click on the pdf icon below to download the "The American Legion Membership Application". Once the file is downloaded, print and fill out the associated form. Mail the completed form, with check for $35.00 (American Legion dues), a copy of your DD-214 form or other record of honorable service to:
Merrick Post No. 1282, American Legion
Commander Kenneth J. Braun
160 West Merrick Road
Merrick, NY 11566
For more information:
Phone: (516) 521-6989
|The American Legion Membership Application|